An article by Arya Dipa, The Jakarta Post.
West Java provincial administration is set to tear down buildings illegally built in water catchment areas in the northern Bandung mountainous region to save the city from annual flooding.
“We will demolish all illegal buildings on state land,” West Java Housing and Spatial Planning Agency head Bambang Ryanto said in Bandung on Tuesday.
Previously, West Java Deputy Governor Deddy Mizwar called on his staffers to tear down buildings, whose developments were not in line with Regional Regulation (Perda) No. 1/2008 on spatial planning in North Bandung.
Based on the Perda, all parties who intend to build in the area must obtain a recommendation from the governor, while in fact, many buildings were built without the aforementioned recommendation.
Offenders could face three months in jail and a maximum fine of Rp 50 million (US$4,100).
Deddy said that the administration would send notification letters to the owners of the illegal buildings.
To read full article, click here.